CMC: Professional Development Opportunity – Youth Apprenticeship Program
Posted: Aug 8, 2011
Mines Action Canada (MAC) is now accepting applications for the Youth Apprenticeship Program at the 2MSP in Beirut, Lebanon from September 12 to 16 and at the 11MSP in Phnom Penh, Cambodia from November 26 to December 2 2011.
Successful applicants have the opportunity of travelling to either Lebanon or Cambodia depending on which apprenticeship you are selected for. MAC will be covering all expenses for travel including: visas, airfare to/from Lebanon/Cambodia, travel to and from the airport, accommodations and per diem. The only cost that will not be covered is the cost of your personal travel insurance.
MAC is offering three positions: one will take place in Lebanon and two in Cambodia. The successful candidates will be working with the ICBL or CMC staff on different tasks.
One apprentice will be working with the CMC’s Director, Laura Cheeseman, to support the coordination and implementation of the CMC’s campaigning strategy during the 2MSP.
We are also excited to have two additional openings. One apprentice will be providing operational support for the ICBL media relations & communication team at the 11MSP. The apprentice will be guided by Kate Wiggans, the ICBL’s Communications and Media Officer. An additional apprentice will be supporting the ICBL team with the coordination of the campaign and lobbying activities. Kasia Derlicka, ICBL’s Director, will oversee this apprenticeship.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS: August 15th, 2011
Here is a link to the application form:
Mines Action Canada – Youth Leaders Apprenticeship Program 2011
If you require any additional information please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to answer any questions you might have.
Roles and responsibilities for the apprenticeships “Lobby and Advocacy”, 2MSP of CCM and 11MSP of MBT:
- Providing overall support to ICBL/CMC staff for campaign and lobbying coordination
- Contacting and following-up with government representatives to schedule meetings (and taking part in some of them)
- Supporting and following-up with campaigners on their lobbying efforts
- Assisting in preparation and distribution of documents and materials for campaigners
- Providing logistic and administrative support for ICBL campaign briefings, meetings and events as needed.
Roles and responsibilities for the apprenticeship “Media and Communications” 11MSP of MBT:
- Providing practical and logistical support to media team. This will include overseeing printing needs, managing resources and handouts, copying CDs / DVDs, booking rooms for press conferences, arranging any transport for media trips etc;
- Assisting in social media communications from conference, including posting links to Facebook and Twitter, posting images to Flikr and maintaining online discussions and dialogue with followers under direction of Media & Comms Manager and other staff;
- Assisting in posting CMC’s statements and press releases from conference to the organisational website;
- Attending press conferences and being responsible for distributing press releases / media packs / contact details;
- Working to tight deadlines and in pressured environment, being able to adapt to changing situations and taking on other duties as necessary to the work of the team.
Criteria to participate:
- Actively involved in the ICBL and CMC;
- Ability to work in English; the ability to communicate in additional languages would be an asset;
- Good communications skills, comfortable at freely talking to a variety of people, including government officials;
- Good organization and management skills;
- Experience of working with groups and different cultures would be an asset;
- Comfortable with computers (Microsoft word, excel, social media, etc.);
- Ability to travel to Lebanon or Cambodia for the proposed dates;
- Candidates must be between the ages of 18-30;
- Positive attitude.