Multiple Internship Positions – Washington, DC
Legacies of War was founded in 2004 to raise awareness about the history of the Vietnam War-era bombing in Laos and advocate for the clearance of unexploded bombs, to provide space for healing the wounds of war, and to create greater hope for a future of peace.
Laos is the most heavily bombed country in history. Vietnam War-era bombings left nearly half of the country contaminated with vast quantities of UXO. Today, cluster bombs litter forests, rice fields, villages, school grounds, roads, and other populated areas. Tens of thousands of people have been killed or injured by UXO since the bombing ceased; each year there continue continues to be more than 300 new casualties, most of whom are children. Nearly 40 years on, only a fraction of these munitions have been destroyed.
The organization uses art, culture, education, dialogue, and community organizing to bring people together and create healing and transformation out of the wreckage of war. Legacies of War is a project of NEO Philanthropy, a 501(c)3 nonprofit.
“Working at Legacies has been an incredible experience. From policy work to fundraising, you truly experience all aspects of non-profit work, honing your writing, communication, and organizational skills. The atmosphere is very open and accessible, meaning that you can ask any and all questions that you may have and learn so much. Everyone is incredibly friendly and so giving in everything from their time to some great food.” – Rebekah Ninan, Summer Intern
“My experience with Legacies of War has taught me that the human spirit is indomitable and there is always hope for the future. At Legacies of War, you will have the opportunity to work on any element of non-profit work you wish, including communications and marketing, development and operations, event planning, fundraising, research, and the advocacy process. The staff at Legacies is very warm, accommodating, and willing to provide a mentorship for their interns. Additionally, if you are anything like me, your tolerance for spicy food will increase greatly with the help of delicious Lao food.” – McKenzie Hammer, Fall 2016 Intern
“Legacies of War has shown me that it is possible to impact a seemingly unsolvable issue. From conducting research in the office to participating in the lobbying process, Legacies has exposed me to multiple aspects of nonprofit work. And since Channapha is a marvelous chef, we were kept well fed throughout the course of our work.” – Preston Lim, Summer Intern
SUMMARY OF THE INTERNSHIP
Legacies of War seeks intelligent, dynamic and passionate interns for its Washington, DC office. We accept intern applications on a rolling basis for the fall, winter break (mid-December through mid-January), spring and summer semesters. There are multiple positions available in Advocacy, Programs, Communications/Marketing and Development. The interns will have considerable responsibilities in implementing various program strategies while working closely with the Executive Director in meeting its communications and advocacy goals. The interns will thereby have a unique opportunity to gain insights into global policy-making and legislation and make a significant contribution to the UXO clearance issue during the period of his/her internship.
- Work with the Director to coordinate advocacy activities and campaigns in a fast-moving environment;
- Develop and implement policy strategies using your writing and research skills;
- Represent Legacies at public events;
- Use a variety of research tools for outreach and awareness-raising activities with stakeholders on Capitol Hill, State Department and the Lao Diaspora community;
- Develop and maintain Legacies’ outreach database;
- Help manage online databases and create systems for shared online resources;
- Organize outreach and educational events, such as panel discussions and Congressional visits;
- Other duties as assigned.
Communications & Development Intern:
- Produce and coordinate a wide range of communication/marketing, education and outreach materials, including press releases, fact sheets, and event advertising for various organizational projects;
- Develop and maintain social media tools and websites;
- Design and coordinate correspondences, such as monthly e-newsletter and direct mail appeals with the Director of Operations & Development;
- Support Legacies’ grant-writing and fundraising projects using your research skills;
- Develop graphics, design, press information, print production, and other media;
- Support Legacies’ individual gift program and maintain the online donor base;
- Coordinate fundraising strategies, including fundraising events, such as Happy Hours, Lao Cooking Classes;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Coordinate various education and outreach activities, including traveling exhibit, film screenings, panel discussions, community events, Legacies’ curriculum, and receptions;
- Plan fundraising events, including cooking classes and house parties with high-level donors;
- Coordinate outreach opportunities to all stakeholders, including Congressional visits;
- Maintain Legacies’ databases and assist the Executive Director with a variety of research tasks;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Candidates must be undergraduate level students with a minimum of sophomore status;
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice, human rights, conflict resolution/peace-building, and international relations;
- Interest in cultural exchange and Southeast Asia;
- Flexibility and ability to work well with a team;
- Experience in a high-energy campaign or non-profit setting preferable;
- Excellent writing, research and communication skills, self-motivated, attention to detail, and the ability to juggle several tasks while meeting deadlines;
- Proficient with Google Drive, Google Docs/Google Excel, desirable skills: Salesforce, Photoshop, InDesign
All internship positions are unpaid with flexible negotiable hours. Students can receive academic credit consistent with their college or university guidelines.
Please send a cover letter indicating your availability and preferred start date, writing sample and CV to Channapha Khamvongsa, Executive Director, email@example.com